Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Grandma Test: A Benchmark for Your Communications

This is our Grandma Holland. She 86, still works part-time over lunch at the school near her home and is the most matter-of-fact communicator I know. Grandpa Holland, her late husband, fretted ten years ago about buying a suit for our wedding. He worried he would pass away before the wedding and not get to wear his "investment." Grandma told him, "Gilbert, we're getting you a new suit. If that happens, then we're covered for the funeral."

Upon reviewing anything I have written, I ask myself if it passes the "Grandma Test." I visualize Grandma Holland when I do. I ask whether each sentence is direct enough. I remove extra words where I can. I look for industry lingo and try to explain it in more common terms.

With so much to accomplish each day, it can be difficult to keep this review process a high priority. However, it is my critical bridge towards greater understanding by my audience.

Communications opportunities abound. You may need to prepare for your department meeting, send a news release about Fire Prevention Week activities, schedule your next training session through your community college, submit a grant report, or develop a presentation for when your city council starts to plan next year's budget.

Do the communications on your plate right now pass the Grandma Test?

For more information on communications services available to your department, contact Dawn Svenson Holland at FlashPoint Fundraising today.

No comments:

Post a Comment