Photo credit: www.askingmatters.com
One of the best facets of my on-the-job-education has been the study of personality styles. Early in my career, my colleagues and I took the Driver, Amiable, Analytical and Expressive test.
Studying personality styles connected a lot of dots for me that none of my college classes covered. This study was great introspection on the strengths and weaknesses of who I am. This study helped me appreciate both the positive and conflict potential among complimentary and contrasting styles. I've applied the lessons of personality styles nearly every day since that initial study.
The fundraising industry has moved forward by leaps and bounds in recent years by escalating the focus on the donor, and finding the right connections between a funder and a mission. I know that's what you are seeking for in your ongoing efforts to move your mission forward.
To aid you in your efforts, I highly recommend the book, Asking Styles: Harness Your Personal Fundraising Power by Andrea Kihlstedt. You may purchase the book at this link: http://charitychannel.com/bookstore/productid/146/catreferrer/6693.
Andrea's book fills in a critical gap in current fundraising prep: introspection on what unique and wonderful you brings to the table. As illustrated above, the book explores the tendencies we all have towards analytic or intuitive decision making, as well as introversion and extroversion.
Andrea's insight in Asking Styles is straightforward, valuable and as daily applicable to fundraising work as my initial personality styles study. Thank you, Andrea.
Asking Styles offers detailed descriptions and questions to help you identify your own style, as well as those of your fellow volunteers, fundraising colleagues, board members and donors. I recommend the exercises, too!
Have you bought the book yet?
Any insights to share? Add them to the comment field below.
Sunday, March 17, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment